Why is so much still being written with PHP - even though there are so many people that say it’s a language only suitable for toy sites? (Sites like Wordpress and MediaWiki - the prime example of which you know as Wikipedia - in the top 10 global websites - number 5, Yahoo.com also uses a lot of PHP for its various parts).
Is it funny when a geek says that Scala is an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age?
There are so many subtle questions - What is does HVVM have to do with PHP? Can Rhino run EcmaScript? Why is someone claiming to be a PHP v6 expert an oxymoron - even though there you can buy books on the subject? Books like PHP v6 (and Mysql v6), with 4 and 5 stars on Amazon!
When you know what a developer does day to day, and you can get an idea of quality by looking at their code, then you can cut down the amount of no-hopers you are sending to your clients - saving them the time, and making you look like a first class hero. When your skills make you more useful to the people that pay the invoice than the next guy - aren’t you going to get getter better clients? Better Candidates?
Find out the How and Why:
- Highlights of the major languages, software, and techniques that are in use every day - in work, or that developers use when they are just programming for fun.
- How to recognise original, high quality code, written in any major language.
- How you can avoid talking to contractors that don’t want to be contacted - but find those that are looking now for a new role.
- Why having a public github account is good - but not if it’s all FORKs - and, what’s a fork?
- Why the best developers don’t need to look for a new job, even if they want to change employers.
- Recognising code that other developers know is good. The information is there - if you know how to look deeper.
You will have a better idea of just what the best in their field are looking when they are hiring. What technical and creative contractors, employees, managers and CEOs are looking for - and you’ll find how to look deeper into technical portfolios to spot the best.
That helps you get clients, and might just end up with developers wanting to speak with you.